The Motorola Moto E has been praised as one of the greatest budget phones you can get for the money, but there’s always room for improvement. We can root the phone to gain several improved functionalities including increased battery life, better control over the software and also by flashing custom ROMs like Cyanogen Mod, Resurrection remix, which provide a whole different look and feel, we can make the Moto E device even more functional.
Why do we need to flash?
We have already mentioned this in our previous blog post. Feel free to refer to the same if your still not convinced as to why you need to boot your devices. You can reach the link here.
How to unlock the boot loader?
WARNING: UNLOCKING YOUR BOOTLOADER VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY.PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. NOTE: Unlocking the bootloader will Wipe/ factory reset your device, and will delete all personal data from your device such as apps, photos, messages, and settings.
Make sure to take a backup of your entire device data.
- Download the Android SDK OR Download the Minimal ADB and Fastboot
- Install the latest Motorola USB Drivers on your desktop. Download here.
- Put your device in fastboot mode (power off, then press the power and volume down buttons simultaneously).
- Open Command Prompt wherever you extracted/installed the ADB file (Hold Shift and right click and press open command window here.
- Connect your Phone to PC
- Type this in the CMD prompt window – ‘fastboot oem get_unlock_data’
- You will get a return string. Copy it. [Right Click-Mark- Mark the text by pressing the shift key-Now press Ctrl+C]
- Paste all the lines together in a notepad. Remove the empty spaces.
- Now go to the Motorola Site. Sign in using your Google account or Motorola ID. Scroll down the page and paste the copied string in the field at step #6. Then click on “Can my device be unlocked?”, after which a “REQUEST UNLOCK KEY” button will appear at the bottom of page.
- To get your unlock key, select the “Agree” option.
- Note: You will receive an email with your Unlock Key at the email address you used to log in there.
- Important – Copy the 20-character key that Motorola sent you via email. Make sure your device is connected.
- Then in CMD type: ‘fastboot devices’ (To check your device is connected)
- Then type: ‘fastboot oem unlock UNIQUE_KEY ‘
- NOTE: In above command, replace the word “UNIQUE_KEY” with the unlock code that you got via email. Then hit enter and the unlocking process should begin. Wait for a while and soon you’ll see “Bootloader Unlocked” warning on your Moto E.
- To relock the bootloader: Go to Fastboot and give the command ‘fastboot oem lock’
How to remove the unlocked bootloader message?
- Download the logo.zip
- Extract all the files
- Reboot to fastboot mode (power + vol down)
- Now open cmd and use cd command to go to the directory where you placed the file.
- Now Type the command: ‘fastboot flash logo logo.bin’
- Reboot from the recovery (use vol up to select and vol down to navigate)
- Now your boot logo should be restored back to the normal version